Of a truth, long distance relationships can be challenging, but with the use of technology and the necessary principles in place, they can be enjoyable.
- Define your relationship: The first thing to put in place is to define your relationship. Are you together for marriage or for fun? Though staying in a relationship without marriage in mind is not encouraged as it can lead to jilt. Have a defined time and duration for the relationship. That helps you both enjoy the present moment with great hope
- Openness: Heart-to-heart communication is key to sustaining a long-distance relationship. Be willing to share every detail of your day with your partner.
- Sincerity: Insincerity has damaged so many relationships today. If you really love someone, be willing to be sincere about your past, present, and future. Anyone who cannot deal with your past does not deserve a future with you.
- Integrity: Being one with your word is another key to sustaining a long-distance relationship. Ensure to keep to the scheduled time of calls. When you miss the time or miss the call of your partner, do well to start your discussion with an apology on why you missed the scheduled time.
- Engage in fun activities together: This can be achieved without being together. You can see a movie at the same time alone or with friends with the consent of your partner and discuss it afterward. You could also plan to go to the gym, take a walk, and gist on the phone while walking.
- Use the five magic words: I’m sorry, excuse me, please, thank you, and I love you. All of these magic words are very important at different times. Always ensure mutual respect for one another and keep up with pet names and the magic words, even in the face of challenges.
- Have a time of visit: Do not leave your partner far away for a very long time. Schedule a time, or at least three times in the year, when you can spend time together physically.